Probability of a Disability Lasting Longer Than One-Year and Death by Income or Occupation
– Many people understand they would be unable to pay their bills, care for their family or save for retirement if their income were to stop.
– People likely don’t understand that the risk of becoming disabled is much greater than the risk of dying.
– Working age men, regardless of occupation, are at a 93%-595% greater risk of becoming disabled for more than one-year in the next twelve-months than dying in the same time period.
– Dollar for dollar, disability insurance costs more than life insurance because the risk is so much greater.
– 2-5% of your annual salary will likely insure about 90% of your take home pay.